Coordinator of Public Programs
Labor Occupational Health Program
COEH, School of Public Health
2223 Fulton Street, 4th Floor
Berkeley, CA 94720-5120
Current Research Interests
- Interventions to promote worker health, particularly for low-wage and immigrant workers
- Integration of worker health criteria into green business practices and green jobs
- Chen, Helen, “Green and Healthy Jobs,” Labor Occupational Health Program, UC Berkeley, Produced for CPWR/Center for Construction Research and Training, 2010.
- Chen, Helen, “Stay Healthy and Safe While Giving Manicures and Pedicures: A Guide for Nail Salon Workers,” Labor Occupational Health Program, UC Berkeley, Produced for the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, 2011, revised 2014.
- Chen, Helen, “Small Business Resources: Janitorial Services,” Training Guide and Tipsheets, Labor Occupational Health Program, UC Berkeley, Worker Occupational Safety and Health Training and Education Project (WOSHTEP), Produced for the California Department of Industrial Relations, Commission on Health and Safety and Workers’ Compensation, 2009.
- Arroyo, Michele, Helen Chen, Leonor Dionne, and Robin Dewey, “Lead-Related Construction Sampling Technician Course,” Instructor’s Manual and Student Manual, Labor Occupational Health Program, UC Berkeley, Produced for the California Department of Public Health, Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch, 2008.
- Equal Justice Works Fellowship
- Stanford Public Interest Fellowship
- Foundation of the State Bar of California Scholarship
- Environmental Protection Agency Graduate Education Fellowship
- Switzer Environmental Fellowship
- Switzer Leadership Grant
- Stanford Environmental Science, Technology, and Policy Honors Program
- Firestone Medal
- Member, California State Bar, 2001-present
- Board of Directors, Human Impact Partners, 2013-present
- Board of Directors, Asian Pacific Environmental Network, 2001-2007
- Volunteer Mediator, SEEDS Community Resolution Center, 2010-2012