Labor Occupational Health Program (LOHP)
COEH, School of Public Health
2223 Fulton Street, 4th floor
Berkeley, CA 94720-5120
Current Research Interests
- Development and implementation of effective injury and illness prevention programs
- Promotion of worker participation and leadership in efforts to create just and healthy workplaces
- Community-based participatory research addressing occupational health disparities
- Identifying strategies that protect vulnerable worker populations, including immigrant, low wage workers, young workers, temporary workers
- Building labor and community partnerships
Co-Author, with Gong, F, Casteneda, D., Baron, S., et al, “Using Associative Imagery Technique in Qualitative Health Research: The Experience of Homecare Workers and Consumers:, in Qualitative Health Research, October 2012.
Co-author, with Baker, R., Velazquez, V., “The Role of Labor Unions”, in Occupational Health: Recognizing and Preventing Work-related Disease and Injury, 6th ed. Oxford University Press 2011.
Co-author with Gong, F., Baron, S., et. al, 2009. “The Role for Community Based Participatory Research in Formulating Policy Initiatives: Promoting Health and Safety for In-home Care Workers and Their Consumers, American Journal of Public Health , 00-S531-S538. 2009
Co-author, with Baron, et al, “Formative Research in Occupational Health and Safety Intervention for Diverse, Underserved Worker Populations: A Homecare Worker Intervention Project”, in Public Health Reports, 2009 Supplement, Volume 124.
Co-Author, State of the Sector – Health Care and Social Assistance: Identification of Research Opportunities for the Next Decade of NORA, NIOSH NORA HCSA Sector, 2009.
Co-author, with Baker, R., “Labor Unions: Their Role in Occupational and Environmental Health”, in Occupational Health: Recognizing and Preventing Work-related Disease and Injury, 5th ed. 2005.
Co-author, Promoting Safe Work for Young Workers- A Community-Based Approach, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. November 1999.
Co-author with Cone J. “Barbering and cosmetology”. In: ILO Encyclopedia of Occupational Health and Safety. 1997.
“Training office workers for action”. In: Ng M-K, ed. Keying into the Future-the Impact of Computerization on Office Workers. Women’s Development Collective and Women’s Studies Unit, Universiti Pertanian Malaysia, W.D.C. Sdn. Bhd. 1994.
Co-author, with Baker R, Szudy B.. Training for Action: from Hardware to Hard Hats. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 22:691-701. 1992.
“New Technology and Workers’ Health: Strategies for Promoting Worker Involvement in Technological Change.” In: Berklinguet L, Berthelette D, eds. Work with Display Units 89, International Scientific Conference on Work with Display Units; 1989 September 11-14; Quebec, Canada. North-Holland. 1990Co-author with Baker, R.. Worker Education and the Development of Protective Policies. In: Knave B, et al, eds. Work With Display Units ’86, International Scientific Conference on Work with Display Units; 1986 May 12-15; Stockholm, Sweden. North-Holland. 1987
- 3 day Worker Occupational Safety and Health Specialist Training Courses
- Workshops for small employers and worker leaders on developing effective injury and illness prevention programs.
- Member, California Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board
- Member, NIOSH NORA Health care and Social Assistance Sector Council