Clinical Professor and Adult Nurse Practitioner
Certified Occupational Health Nurse Specialist
University of California
School of Nursing
Dept. of Community Health Systems
San Francisco, CA 94143-0608
Occupational and Environmental Health Nursing Program
Biography at UCSF School of Nursing
Poster: Respiratory Protection Competency for Occupational Health Nurses
Current Research Interests
- Psychosocial work factors and musculoskeletal disorders in janitors, hotel room cleaners, and taxi drivers
- Occupational health, health disparities and access to care for low wage workers
- Nursing Staff
- Occupational Health Nursing
- Occupational Disease
- Respiratory Protective Devices
- Societies, Nursing
- Burgel BJ, Nelson RW, White MC. Work-Related Health Complaints and Injuries, and Health and Safety Perceptions of Latino Day Laborers. Workplace Health Saf. 2015 Aug; 63(8):350-61.
- Burgel BJ, Gillen M, White MC. Work-related violence experienced by urban taxi drivers. Am J Ind Med. 2014 Dec; 57(12):1377-85.
- Burgel BJ, Novak DA, Carpenter HE, Gruden M, Lachat AM, Taormina D. Occupational health nurses’ achievement of competence and comfort in respiratory protection and preferred learning methods results of a nationwide survey. Workplace Health Saf. 2014 Feb; 62(2):56-68.
- Deangelis MP, Burgel BJ. Snapshot of the AAOHN Membership-Health Risk Appraisal Priority Areas. Workplace Health Saf. 2013 Jun; 61(6):237-42.
- Burgel BJ, Novak D, Burns CM, Byrd A, Carpenter H, Gruden M, Lachat A, Taormina D. Perceived competence and comfort in respiratory protection: results of a nationwide survey of occupational health nurses. Workplace Health Saf. 2013 Mar; 61(3):103-15.
- Clinical Residency for OHNP Students (UCSF)
- Management of Clinical Occupational Health Problems (UCSF)
- Current Concepts in Occupational Health Nursing (UCSF)
- Environment and Health (UCSF)
- 2010-now Visiting Professor, University of Cumbria, Lancaster, United Kingdom
- 2005 Joyce Simonowitz Scholarship Award, California State Association of OHNs
- 2002 Teacher of the Year Award, UCSF Master’s Students
- 2000 Research Award from the American Board for Occupational Health Nurses, Inc.
- 1997 FAAN-Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing
Public and University Service
- Institute of Medicine, Committee on the Certification of Personal Protective Technologies, National Academy of Sciences, 2009-2010
- UCSF Chancellor’s Sustainability Committee, 2010-now