Clinical Professor and Adult Nurse Practitioner
Certified Occupational Health Nurse Specialist
University of California
School of Nursing
Dept. of Community Health Systems
San Francisco, CA 94143-0608
415-476-4953 Fax: 415-476-6042
Occupational and Environmental Health Nursing Program
Current Research Interests
- Psychosocial work factors and musculoskeletal disorders in janitors, hotel room cleaners, and taxi drivers
- Occupational health, health disparities and access to care for low wage workers
Key Publications (since 2004)
- Burgel, B.J., Lashuay, N., Israel, L., Harrison, R. (2004). Garment workers in California: Health outcomes of the Asian Immigrant Women Workers Clinic. AAOHN Journal, 52(11): 465-475.
- Pun, J.C., Burgel, B.J., Chan, J. & Lashuay, N. (2004). Education of garment workers: Prevention of work-related musculoskeletal disorders. AAOHN Journal. 52(8): 338-343.
- Saxe, J.M., Burgel, B.J., Stringari-Murray, S., Collins-Bride, G.M., Dennehy, P., Janson, S., Humphreys, J., Martin, H. & Roberts, B. (2004) What is Faculty Practice? Nursing Outlook. 52(4): 166-173.
- Saxe, J.M., Burgel, B.J., Collins-Bride, G.M., Stringari-Murray, S., Dennehy, P., & Holzemer, W. (2004) Strategic Planning for UCSF’s Community Health Nursing Faculty Practices. Nursing Outlook. 52(4): 179-188.
- Foxman, I. & Burgel, B.J. (2006). Musician Health and Safety: Playing Related Musculoskeletal Disorders. AAOHN Journal, 54(7): 309-316.
- Krause, N., Burgel, B., & Rempel, D. (2010). Effort–reward imbalance and one-year change in neck–shoulder and upper-extremity pain among call center computer operators. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health, 36(1): 42–53. PMIDID 19967325.
- Burgel, B., White, M., Gillen, M., & Krause, N. (2010). Psychosocial Work Factors and Shoulder Pain in Hotel Room Cleaners, American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 53(7): 743-56. PMIDID 20340100.
- Clinical Residency for OHNP Students (UCSF)
- Management of Clinical Occupational Health Problems (UCSF)
- Current Concepts in Occupational Health Nursing (UCSF)
- Environment and Health (UCSF)
- 2010-now Visiting Professor, University of Cumbria, Lancaster, United Kingdom
- 2005 Joyce Simonowitz Scholarship Award, California State Association of OHNs
- 2002 Teacher of the Year Award, UCSF Master’s Students
- 2000 Research Award from the American Board for Occupational Health Nurses, Inc.
- 1997 FAAN-Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing
Public and University Service
- Institute of Medicine, Committee on the Certification of Personal Protective Technologies, National Academy of Sciences, 2009-2010
- UCSF Chancellor’s Sustainability Committee, 2010-now