Distinguished Professor of Public Health Sciences and Medicine
School of Medicine
Dept. of Public Health Sciences
University of California
Davis, CA 95616-8638
Department of Public Health Sciences
Western Center for Agricultural Health and Safety
Marc B. Schenker's home page
Identified specific reproductive health hazards among semiconductor workers as director of the Semiconductor Health Study
Identified risk factors for mesothelioma from environmental asbestos exposure in
Identified pneumoconiosis due to inorganic dust disease among agricultural
Highlighted increased risk of immigrant workers in agriculture and other
Current Research Interests
Environmental and occupational risk factors for respiratory disease and lung cancer
Causes and prevention of heat stress among agricultural
Health hazards of agricultural exposures, especially respiratory toxins and
Health hazards in the semiconductor industry
• Reduction of diabetes by workplace interventions among immigrant
• Health hazards in the semiconductor
• Leigh JP, Schenker MB. Leigh JP, Romano PS, Schenker MB, Kreiss K. Costs of Occupational COPD and Asthma. Chest. 2002 Jan; 121(1):264-272.• Leigh JP, McCurdy SA and Schenker MB. Costs of occupational injuries in agriculture. Public Health Reports. 2001 May-June; 116:235-248.
Stoecklin-Marois MT, Bigham CW, Bennett D, Tancredi DJ, Schenker MB. Occupational Exposures Migration Factors Associated With Respiratory Health in California Latino Farm Workers: The MICASA Study. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2015 Feb; 57(2); 152-158
Pan XL, Day HW, Wang W, Beckett LA, Schenker MB. Residential Proximity to Naturally OccurringAsbestos and Mesothelioma Risk in California. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical CareMedicine. 2005 Oct 15; 172(8):1019-1025. [Epub ahead of print: 2005 Jun 23]
Rodriquez EJ, Stoecklin-Marois MT, Hennessy-Burt TE, Tancredi DJ, Schenker MB. Acculturation-related predictors of very light smoking among Latinos in California and nationwide. Journal of Immigrantand Minority Health. 2015 Feb; 17(1):181-191. [Epub ahead of print 2013 Aug 13; 15(4):1-11].
Schenker MB. 2000. Improving health and safety in the agricultural workplace. Promotingwellness: new frontiers for research, practice, and policy. University of California Press. p 586-614.
Pinkerton KE, Green FHY, Saiki C, Vallyathan V, Plopper CG, Gopal V, Hung D, Bahne E, LinMenache M, Schenker MB. 2000. Distribution of particulate matter and tissue remodeling in the humanlung. Env Hlth Perspect 108(11):1063-69.
Schenker MB. 2000. Exposures and health effects from inorganic agricultural dusts. Env Hlth108(4):661-64.
Schenker M B, McCurdy SA, Riden HE, Villarejo, D. Improving the health of agricultural workerstheir families in California: Current status and policy recommendations. University of California GlobalHealth Institute. 2015; 1-26.
• Environmental Epidemiology
• Migration and Health
• Research in Community and International Health
• Public Health Seminar
• Fulbright Specialist Award, Colombia, 2013
• Harvard School of Public Health Alumni Award of Merit, 2013
• Distinguished Professor of Public Health Sciences and Medicine, 2013
• University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research,
UC Davis Distinguished Wellness Lecturer, 1995
Fulbright Senior Scientist Foreign Scholarship Award, France, 1993
Fellow, American College of Physicians, 1986
George C. Griffith Scholarship, American College of Physicians, 1982
Public and University Service
Director, COEH Davis
Director, Western Center for Agricultural Health and Safety
Chair, Department of Public Health Sciences
• Associate Vice Provost for Outreach and Engagement, UC Davis,